Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

So I realize I’ve cheated twice now on my no-shopping experiment. I’m wrestling with feeling a bit guilty about that and yet…NOT.

I’m wondering if I need to re-evaluate and re-define this “journey”. Perhaps I was completely unrealistic in thinking I could go until the end of March without purchases (other than replacement items). So in that sense, I guess I have failed. But I’ve cut down my shopping by about 80% and have only spent a total of $97 since I started three weeks ago. It may not seem like much of an improvement to you, but to a shopaholic like me it’s significant, so in that sense, I’ve succeeded.  And for that $97 I got: pants, jeans, dress, 3 purses, and a pair of boots…not bad.

Perhaps my goal to March 31, 2012 should be:

·         Not to purchase any items that are duplicates of something I already own, and that can be worn in a minimum of three different outfit combinations;
·         No full price purchases – clearance racks, consignment and thrifting only;
·         Has to be a 10 out of 10 in terms of fit and quality;
·         Stick to a budget of $100 per month ($50 per pay cheque).

What do you think? Is this more reasonable and achievable? Or is this “copping out”?

2 comments:

  1. I too have cheated on my shopping hiatus, but the idea that I am trying it has made me think a lot harder before buying something and I have spent significantly less than I normally do. Being 3/4 of the way towards a goal is better than none of the way! I think these new parameters sound like a good new goal, not shopping for 6 months was perhaps biting off more than you could chew. So as long as the new rules work for your household budget, then I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I think not shopping for 6 months was ridiculous! But I have learned (even in this short time) that I don't NEED as many things as I thought and am learning to identify the difference between WANT and NEED. And you're so right that it has made me think harder before purchasing. So "yay" for us!

    ReplyDelete