Friday, October 14, 2011

Why do I thrift?

When people ask me where I got a particular item, whether it be clothes, shoes, purses, accessories, and I respond with “Value Village” I either get “eeewwwww” or THE LOOK.  People have preconceived ideas and biases regarding thrifting. Often, they consider it to be unhygienic, dirty, smelly, unfashionable and cheap (as in poor quality). My son used to be one of those people. He’s 16 after all and fitting in and looking fashionable is of UTMOST importance. He one time asked me why I bought my clothes at Value Village and other thrift/consignment stores and with a look of total disgust commented that “other people have worn those”. I calmly looked up at him (he’s 6’3” after all) and said “do you really think that the jeans you just bought at West 49 for $90 have never had another bum in them, that other people haven’t tried them on – in fact in one day, there could have been as many as 10 people put those jeans on. It’s called a washing machine”. This was a complete revelation to him. I also noted that many times I have found items in thrift stores that still had the original price tag on it from the retail store. He now will take his allowance and head off to VV to see what treasures he can find – among other things, he’s purchased brand new Billabong t-shirts (at $5 each), a beautiful navy blue Diesel hoodie, an Adidas track jacket, and vintage Levi’s jeans that fit him perfect at $8. He’s never looked back.

But I don’t just thrift shop for the fantastic prices. My real reason is the uniqueness and variety. Anyone can walk into a mainstream retail store and find items that fit and look lovely and I certainly do my share of retail shopping. But I don’t want to look like everyone else. I enjoy finding items that I know I’m not going to see on someone else walking down the street. I will mix a thrifted vintage purse with a basic pair of black pants from Sears and a high-end blazer found in a consignment store and BAM…the outfit takes on a whole different vibe. I can often find an article of clothing that is high-end designer that I would never be able to afford otherwise. And because it’s high-end, the quality is superb and the item is in better shape and will last/wear much longer than the cheaper made brand new item. I’ve found Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Jones New York, Karen Kane, Anne Klein, Calvin Klein, Elie Tahari, Kate Spade, Gucci, and Prada clothing, jewelry and purses in thrift and consignment stores. I would not be able to buy these items at full retail prices.

I also tend to be a bit more adventurous with my style when thrifted. I have not invested a great deal of money on a singular item so if it turns out to be a “dud” it’s not a big waste of cash and I end up donating it back. No biggee.

I do have specific Shannon rules when it comes to thrifting though. They are:

·         I will not buy an item in a thrift/consignment store that I would not have bought when it was new. I have to genuinely like the piece – there’s no point buying something just because it’s inexpensive. If I wouldn’t have bought it new, then I shouldn’t buy it now.
·         I will not buy an item that is stained, ripped, missing buttons, has a broken zipper or doesn’t fit (other than requiring hemming, which is a given for me). Not only does altering an item add to the cost, but I just don’t have the time or inclination to get an item altered. And some things still don’t fit right once altered anyway. My one exception is a shirt or jacket that fits beautifully and is in great shape but I don’t LIKE the buttons – you can pick up new buttons cheaply and replace them. Sometimes changing the buttons on something can completely update the look of the item as well.
·         Do not forget the “smell” test. I realize this sounds disgusting BUT I once purchased a beautiful leather purse and didn’t realize until I got it home that it absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. I tried everything possible to remove the smell, but it never did come out and I ended up re-thrifting the bag. Body odor and some perfumes can be just as difficult to remove. As strange as I look, I sniff everything before it leaves the store with me.
·         Items from different decades are sized differently. If you see an item you love but it isn’t your size, try it on anyway. I’ve fit everything from a small to a large depending on the designer and the era. In the same vein, wander through the men’s section as well. Some men’s button down shirts look fantastic on women, as well as small sports coats can make fabulous blazers (totally rocking the “boyfriend blazer” look). Vests are big this fall so don’t forget to check out the suit vests in the men’s section.
·         I will occasionally thrift shoes/boots but they have to be in excellent condition – the inside in particular. If the insole is in rough or disgusting shape, I will see if I can either remove it and replace it with a Dr. Scholl’s gel insole or if the shoe has enough space in it for me to put the gel insole on top of the existing. If not, the shoes don’t come home with me.
·         Always always always check out purses, jewelry and scarves. You can find some amazing items in these sections, especially if you’re looking for vintage. I have found some fantastic watches and all I needed to do was put a new battery in them.
·         Above all, be prepared to spend time looking. Thrift stores aren’t known for their great organization and you need to spend time looking through the multitude of racks. Just like finding your perfect mate, you have to go through a lot of crap to find the one “keeper”! Get to know the sales people a bit if you intend on going there frequently. They’ll start to get a sense of what you buy and will often point out items to you which saves you time and effort. And if they really like you, they’ll put items aside they think you’ll like as soon as received so they don’t go out onto the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment