Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Today we (hubby, son and I) spent part of the day at my in-laws. They have a large lot with many large trees and the yard is full of leaves needing to be raked. So we went over today and spent three hours raking the leaves and mowing the lawn. My parents-in-law were very appreciative of this assistance. My father-in-law is terminally ill and I suspect will not make it to see Christmas and my mother-in-law is 80 years old with half a lung missing from lung cancer years ago. Raking and bagging 36 bags of leaves (yes...that's how many we bagged today) is not something they can do anymore. I also took over a pumpkin pie I made earlier in the day so that we could, in our small way, celebrate Thanksgiving with them. They're not up to the big family dinners anymore - hosting or attending. My mother-in-law phoned me a few hours later and said they were enjoying the pie and thanks again for the help with the yard. Small gestures - raking and baking - and yet they were so thankful.


So what am I thankful for this year? Friends, my kitty cats, sunshine, good coffee, a warm bath and most of all...family.



No comments:

Post a Comment