Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Pleasant Problem

I've been eating a different way for the past 3-4 weeks. I'm not calling it a diet" because it's how I plan to eat for the rest of my life. I'm eating a low glycemic way to keep my insulin in check, get/feel healthy, and help rid myself of a few carb-laden calories that have gathered around my middle over the past year. I must say, I feel fantastic, have more energy than I've had in quite a while and am getting results. Although the number on the scale hasn't dipped by huge leaps and bounds, that's not really what I'm after. It's the "spare tire" I want to get rid of and that appears to be shrinking.

I'm thrilled with the results but it has presented a pleasant problem - some of my pants I wear to work are getting too big in the waist and butt. In fact this morning I had on a pair of black dress pants that I just purchased two months ago and they are way too big now. I'm wearing instead a pair of pinstriped Ann Taylor Loft pants I thrifted last year and had to put away because I couldn't get them done up. But I loved them and hoped they would fit again one day - that day has arrived!

So what do I do with this issue in relation to my no shopping policy? I did say I could replace an item with a like item if it was damaged. Does not fitting fit into this category as well? Before I skip on off to my favorite thrift and/or consignment stores, I will check out two pairs of black dress pants I had kept even though they no longer fit (Gap and Anne Klein). If one of these fits, I'll use them and not shop. If neither of them fits, I will have to get a pair I can wear now but will purchase via thrifting. Sound ok?

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting on your new lifestyle! It is pretty amazing how much energy eating like this can give you. If you had spent a lot on these pants in the first place, I would tell you to consider having the ones that are too big nipped in at the waist as this usually solves the butt problem as well. But since they were thrifted, I would guess you could get a new thrifted pair for not much more than the price of alteration, so unless you really love a pair of pants that would be worth altering, I think it would be ok to replace at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice on your blog that you and your husband eat very healthy. I've done some reading on the Paleo way of eating and find there are many similarities between it and the low GI way of eating. I hope it's ok to "borrow" a couple of your crockpot recipes - I use my crockpot at least once a week and think it's the greatest invention EVER!

    You're right - thrifting another pair of pants or altering the ones I have would probably be about the same price. Will have to give it a think.

    ReplyDelete